Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tascam continued

I figured I would have to jump through umpteen million hoops, but Amazon has made it very simple to resolve the problem.

No one should have to jump up and down on one foot chanting, "There's no place like home," in Swahili to get a monitor jack in a recording unit to actually monitor a recording. It would be counter-productive, and no musician would ever get anything done.

We never did resort to the afore-mentioned ridiculous tactic to get the machine to work, but I was almost desperate enough to try. What stopped me? Well, not the utter silliness of the concept. Frankly, my dears, I don't know Swahili, and I had serious doubts as to whether some other language would suffice, or make the unit explode in my hands. So...

I went to Amazon to see what to do, and found out how easy it is to do a return. They do not have to wait until they've received the original unit, as I feared might be the case. Au contraire! I even had a nice follow-up e-mail from customer service saying they were very sorry for my problem and would send a replacement forthwith, which should be in my hot little hands by Tuesday! All I have to do is make sure they have the defective unit back by February 17th, and I will not be charged for the second unit.

Hooray for Priority Mail and its free package tracking service! I will know when the package arrives at Amazon, and that will most likely be no later than the end of this week.

Even if I don't have any real time to do serious recording, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll make sure the unit works as soon as I've got it. Not taking any chances this time. I think one of these little units, in good working order, will be a great thing. I did like what I could hear, until the monitor ceased to function. With 8 tracks at my disposal, I should be able to make my recordings a whole lot more interesting than they are at present.

Off to retrieve my amplifier from my kid's closet, and hoping I can remember how to plug everything in without blowing myself to Kingdom Come.

No comments: