Sunday, February 6, 2011

Got It!

I have successfully completed my first two attempts at multi-track recording! Yes, I had to jump through a bunch of head-spinning technological hoops, but I did not in fact lose everything I had recorded. Just took a while to figure out how to get the stuff from one place to another, between the computer and the Tascam.

I know I have a lot to learn about how to manage the files, but I think I'm off to a decent start, despite the fact that hubby squirmed his way through listening to Coverdale's Carol, and left the room laughing outright before the first verse of Never Talking To You had finished playing. Just because Mr. Unless-It-Makes-My-Ears-Bleed-It-Sucks didn't much like it, and right away started making suggestions for how to "improve" the recordings, doesn't mean that my efforts do, in fact, suck. They are far from perfect, as I have a lot to learn, but they do not suck.

I intend to keep working on this stuff over time, and it will get better as I go.

Hubby is not a musician himself. Hubby listens almost exclusively to death metal. Hubby is really not in a position to judge my work. I'm feeling disinclined to let him hear much more of what I'm doing.

He said my harmonizing sounded like something from outer space, and I do not believe he meant that as a compliment.

I have news for him. I am not staying in whatever box he might think I belong in.

I will not even feign interest in the Stupid Bowl today.

I can lay down more guitar tracks and save the vocals for another day this week, when hopefully I might have the house to myself for a bit. If no such opportunity arises, then I'll just have to play hooky from church again next week.

Feel free to give a listen here if you like.

Never Talking To You was the first thing I laid down because a) it's short; b) it's easy; c) I've memorized it to a point where I don't have to think about it too hard; and d) well, because I like the song, damn it!

No comments: