Wednesday, August 29, 2012

It was a challenge!

I love most of Stephen West's patterns. I am not alone. So, when this summer's Mystery Knit Along was announced, I bought the new pattern and chose my yarns. The shawl promised to be a beauty. With a carefree "ha-ha-ha" in the face of fate, I chose two yarns that were truly one of a kind and commenced knitting. One was a hand-painted yarn from a fellow Phat Fiber vendor, and one was my own handspun. I thought I had more than enough yardage, and knitted confidently through clues 1, 2, and 3, but when I hit clue 4...

Oh, it was one of those moments when a knitter's heart doesn't just sink. It plummets down through the center of your being, rips through the soles of your feet, and crashes through the floor beneath you.

The unthinkable had happened. I had run seriously short of yarn with only one "wing" and a few rows of the second completed.

Rip it all out and start with new yarns in repeatable colorways so I could buy more if I needed it? Oh, heavens forefend! That might make SENSE!

No, no, no! I will finish THIS shawl, in THESE colors, but...how?

A complementary third color and some stripe modifications, and a crocheted edging around the entire shawl in that third color, and voila! I does not look as odd as I feared it might.

Here's a close-up shot of the second "wing" with its modification. Not bad, eh?


And here's the shawl in its entirety. REALLY not bad. Not bad at all. I will wear this proudly!


Thank you for another great challenge, Stephen West! Plain and simple, sir: you rock!

No comments: