Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sam Amidon

This video is not from last night's show at Club Passim, but it's close enough. This is one of my favorite songs that he does. Last night he messed up the lyrics and had to stop and start again, which made everyone laugh, and that was a good thing for me, 'cause I was starting to cry.


I first saw Sam a few years ago, in a performance at the MFA in Boston, along with Nico Muhly, Nadia Sirota, and Doveman. It was one of the most exciting concerts I had ever been to. Years and years ago, Nico was in choir with me, so it was really nice to see what great things he's been up to in the intervening years. To hear him play so beautifully, along with his very talented friends, was really a treat.

I found out, completely by chance, that Sam was coming to town, and I bought tickets and took Phoebe. Sam is every bit as good now as he was at the first concert. His voice is unusual, and so is his approach to the music. How does one manage to sound so coolly detached and intensely expressive at the same time?

Phoebe and I arrived way early for the show, and while we waited for our supper to come, of course I kept myself busy. I am now well on my way with the first sleeve of Grant's sweater. The sweater will have some lovely Sam Vibes stored up in it. Very appropos, as he and Grant are both magickal in their own unique ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that Himself is doing well and thanks for the lovely music. You do find the most wonderful wizards! su