Sunday, July 14, 2013

On a Roll!

The ideas just keep coming, and it feels so good to be writing again! What I had for a "finished" product was sort of like someone who doesn't eat enough: all there, but not quite enough meat on the bones. I read through things and find places where a little more detail or some anecdote would improve the story, and then the new material comes to mind, and off I go.

I wrote Lorin's Tattoo this morning.

I still can't quite believe that this whole ball started rolling as a result of hearing what may or may not have been a bassoon in one of Grant Hart's new songs. (Pre-order the album here.)

It has been a little over two months since I first heard "Is the Sky the Limit." Maybe I make too big a fuss over Grant, maybe not. But it wasn't long after hearing the song for the first time that I started going back in time and listening to a lot of the music I was listening to while first working on "O Fortuna" in the mid-1980s. There was classical music, popular music, choral music, and French organ music. I had regrets over parts of the book I had been unable to flesh out due to a lack of research sources. There were parts of the book that suited me fine 12 years ago, but do not now. I have an opportunity to make all that better, and I feel like I have no choice about seizing that opportunity. The Muse is back!

The older I got, the more I disliked my books' titles. O Fortuna. To Walk in Newness of Life. Worldes Blis. While I like the reasons I chose those titles, I hate how pompous they sound to me now. Better I should just come up with a series name, and call the books I, II, and III.

So, I have been thinking about titles, and on Thursday at work, listening to an old, forgotten favorite, some words leapt out at me, and had me scrambling for pen and post-it notes, so I would not forget.

"Like leaves, we touch, we dance, we will know the story as we both remember all those many years ago..."

So, at the moment, the working title for the whole darn saga is "Like Leaves, We Touch."

Hubby says I don't need to explain myself and my reasons to anyone, but I think I need to put it down somewhere, if for no other reason than my own benefit.

In the face of eternity, people are like leaves. There are many of us. We are blown together over the courses of our lifetimes, and we touch, and we wither, and die, and fall. Though our lives seem to be going on forever, especially in difficult times, we really are so much like the leaves. Our time is brief compared to all that has come before, and all that will come after. We strive to leave a lasting impression, in hopes of not being forgotten when we are gone. We will dance, and we will know our stories as our lives progress.

Well, that's what I'm thinking about the title at the moment. Other ideas may cross my mind as I sit at work this week, who knows?

"Like Leaves, We Touch."

Any constructive thoughts you'd like to share, please feel free to leave a message. :-)

No comments: